thebibliophileconfessions

The Bibliophile Confessions

I'm Inah. 20 years old and I read books for passion.

The Leveller

Title: Red Rising

Author: Pierce Brown

Publication Date: January 28, 2014 by Del Rey Books

Synopsis

The Earth is dying. Darrow is a Red, a miner in the interior of Mars. His mission is to extract enough precious elements to one day tame the surface of the planet and allow humans to live on it. The Reds are humanity’s last hope.

Or so it appears, until the day Darrow discovers it’s all a lie. That Mars has been habitable – and inhabited – for generations, by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. A class of people who look down on Darrow and his fellows as slave labour, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought.

Until the day that Darrow, with the help of a mysterious group of rebels, disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside. But the command school is a battlefield – and Darrow isn’t the only student with an agenda.

Review

I was too curious of the hype this book has caused that’s why I snagged a copy off Netgalley during Bank Holiday. While I’ve never heard of Pierce Brown before since this is his first novel, I was pretty much confident that I’ll like the book. I was wrong. I LOVED IT!

I read the book right after reading Blood Of Olympus and I couldn’t help relating the books to each other since the Riordan’s novel touches Greek and Roman Myths while this book has somehow adopted Roman culture so Roman Gods and Goddesses were introduced throughout the book. Fortunately, it helped me from my book hangover.

The story’s concept was really fresh and amazing. I’ve never read anything like this before. I avoided dystopian reads for some time because I’ve been coming across the same formula for the genre. Well, this book has saved me. It’s pretty amazing and it totally set a high standard for a debut novel. I REPEAT, THIS IS A DEBUT NOVEL.

The main character, Darrow, is a Red, which is part of the lowerclass in a color-coded society. Basically, the society in the book is color-coded. There were Pinks, Obsidians, Silvers and other colors, the highest one being Golds. Darrow, with the help of some acquaintances, infiltrates the Golds in hopes of achieving justice for his loved ones. I’m not going to reveal more because I might just end up spoiling everything but obviously there’s a lot of hardships and struggles that Darrow has undergone in the book.

Did I mention they live in FREAKING MARS?? Planets were terraformed for habitats after the Earth was left barren. I was so surprised by this. This is like the first book I’ve read that actually touched this kind of aspect.

Pierce Brown’s writing was great but I have to admit that there were some times in the novel where I felt lost and I couldn’t grasp anything that’s happening. Hence, one star taken off the rating. However, it’s really great to read such book with a genius concept.

This book will really appeal to fans of dystopian and science fiction novels.

Source: http://thebibliophileconfessions.reads-it.com/2014/10/book-review-red-rising-pierce-brown